Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Dancing Through the Gardens

For our article feature in Coastal Living magazine, I was asked to write a "top ten" spots where I like to go around Coral Gables/ Miami. Here's a cut out of the list:

It is entirely accurate except for the edited Alhambra Antiques. I guess the editors found it to be too "self-promotional." I've already posted about Vizcaya and the fabulous luncheon I went to there. Last week, I attended a charity luncheon at another one of my top ten sites, Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden. Fairchild is an expansive property whose mission is to save tropical plant diversity by exploring, explaining and conserving the world of tropical plants; fundamental to this task is inspiring a greater knowledge and love for plants and gardening so that all can enjoy the beauty and bounty of the tropical world. One of the ways they have been working to excite the community and tourists to visit is by hosting art installations by well-known artists. This photo is from a remnant the previous Dale Chihuly installation, in which the gardens were adorned with magnificent glass blown sculptures resembling the nature itself.


Currently, they have an installation featuring massive bronze sculptures by Fernando Botero.
Here is one of a horse:


Here is a piece with a man and woman dancing:

The most beautiful view at Fairchild:

The guest house with shop and restaurant:

We locals enjoy going there with the kids when it isn't too hot and when they have fun activities, such as for Halloween. While not as glamorous as a place like Vizcaya, it's worth a visit if you are in the area and enjoy nature. I'll write about my "Heros in Heels" luncheon in a few days...thanks for visiting and stay tuned.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...