Monday, December 7, 2009

Design and Inspiration: Christian Louboutin and Matteo Bonetti at Design Miami/


Last week was really an inspirational week for me. While many criticize the hype of Art Basel Miami Beach week in Miami, the truth is that there is a lot of creative energy that one feels going to various shows and seeing the works that other human beings are or have created. The energy that comes from the enthusiasm people exude was rejuvenating.
I went to a fantastic talk with Christian Louboutin and Matteo Bonnetti, who described themselves not as designers or artists, but as artisans, craftsmen. This was quite meaningful to me. I find more value in the concept of being a craftsman, than just calling oneself an "artist". Somehow that word has developed some negative connotations for me. It made me realize that-to an extent-I am an artisan too. There is a certain artistry and workmanship to what I do. I put things together. I don't "make" them but I still create something with them. Mr. Louboutin, doesn't make the leather, he molds it and colors it and makes it something that it previously was not. And that ultimately is what expression is all about. Creating something helps us feel real and until now I've never really acknowleged that in myself. I've always seen myself as doing something more practical, for many years I feel like I've been going through the motions. I've focused on the function of furniture and design and forgotten to acknowledge that the right combination of a few pieces or a work of art can be more than the sum of its parts.
So, here's to new understandings and new aspirations, to figuring out who I want to be instead of what I want to be. And thank you to all the people who were out on the streets and all the artists exhibiting their work this week reminding me that I am part of something bigger, a community. No man is an island.

3 comments:

Side Door Antiques said...

Hello! I met you this year when we all did the Marburger Show. Corey Amaro was with me. I had read your blof after that, but neglected to save it. I stumbled across it again today and was just "wowed" by this post! You described what so many of us, especially in this business feel. Thank you, thank you for making me see that I am a "craftsman" and I am blessed to do what I love. Hope to see you again at Marburger!

Olga Granda-Scott said...

Lynn,
Of course I remember you, your booth was so beautiful you are certainly an artist. I follow Corey so followed your recent escapade to France. Thank you so much for the comment, I wrote this post "for me" but it is always wonderful to know that I'm not alone. Please send me your email address so we can correspond a little more.
Affectionately,
Olga

Concrete Jungle said...

Definitely a thought provoking post...
and an aside I am looking forward to seeing the film.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...