Friday, June 26, 2009

Queens and Saints: The Most Beautiful Antique Crowns

When I saw these four crowns on my last trip to Paris, I had to just sweep them up and bring them home in my suitcase. I couldn't possibly wait for them to go on our container. They are 19th century gilt brass with colored cut glass jewels. The detail and craftsmanship is superb and they are in perfect condition. I just posted them on our website if you are interested! Email me through this blog and receive a special discount and free shipping. I don't think you can find a better selection anywhere on the internet. Here are the four beauties one-by-one:

I also have these other types from previous purchasing escapes. I'm not quite sure when and how I got the crown bug, but I'm a hopeless collector now! Just something about the delicacy and religious inspiration all combined.



The most spectacular crown I've ever had, it looks like it is made of real jewels, sapphires and diamonds! It could fit beautifully on this old statue of the Madonna and Child we have from Northern France:



This one is real bronze, 18th century from Germany. A crown for the Infant Jesus. Nice and heavy. Here is a processional Madonna and Child in my current collection with their original vestments and crowns (very rare):


This wreath is from the turn-of-the-century, French, and was given as an award or prize for competitions, usually writing competitions hosted by newspapers. One side has laurel leaves, a very old symbol dating back to the Greeks. In ancient Greece laurel wreaths were awarded to victors, both in athletic competitions, including the ancient Olympics, and in poetic meets; in Rome they were symbols of martial victory, crowning a successful commander during his triumph. The other side has oak leaves with acorns. The oak is a common symbol of strength and endurance and has been chosen as the national tree of many countries including England, France, Germany, and the United States. Oak leaves are frequently used to decorate military insignia to represent rank or class. For example, arrangements of oak leaves, acorns and sprigs indicate different branches of the United States Navy Staff corps officers. This crown therefore represents victory, glory, strength, wisdom, and endurance.

This piece is from an opera or theater collection. I loved its colors and unusual shape. Fit for a king!


Which one would you like to wear tonight?

4 comments:

vicki archer said...

The bronze stars and lilies for me Olga...xv

Unknown said...

What a lovely post and you own some fabulous crowns! I would wear the first crown with the clear rhinestones!

Sandy xox

Anonymous said...

Oh how I love your crown collection! How do you ever find so many beautiful pieces?

Hope you are well! Have a lovely weekend!

My best,
Tricia - Avolli

Antique Crystal Chandelier said...

Great post, great site
those crowns look really great

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...